Why the right turf matters
Whatever the sport, to get truly great performance, only the best, most hard-wearing grass should be used.
Sporting activity subjects grass to huge wear and tear. Shoes, boots, spikes and hooves all impact on the grass, often cutting into the surface to cause lasting damage.
Lindum has supplied high quality turf for cricket, football and rugby pitches throughout the UK, from the Brit Oval and the JJB football stadium in Wigan, to Murrayfield and Headingley.
We have developed a number of revolutionary turfs specifically for high performance, high impact situations such as sports pitches. LT6 Sports turf is the specialist turf used on sports pitches. It is designed to withstand the wear and tear inflicted on Premier League football pitches, rugby stadiums, training grounds, racecourses and school pitches. It is a turf with ryegrass as the main constituent, yet with a strong presence of smooth stalked meadow grass, along with Slender Creeping Red Fescue to provide strength.
LT6 is also available as a washed turf – a mature turf beneficial for new sports surfaces constructed with a high specification sand profile or fibre reinforced rootzone.
LT6 can be grown as Fibre Reinforced Lindum Lokturf. Grown into an imported Loksand crimped reinforced rootzone, this improves wear tolerance, provides rapid drainage, reduces divoting, and can bear heavy loads.
Lindum are one the UK’s leading providers of specialist turf for golf courses and have earned a reputation for consistently high quality turf and innovation in grass technology.
A diverse range of turf is needed, to cover greens, tees, fairways, bunkers, high traffic areas and landscaping around the golf course.
Our range includes turf made up of varying mixtures of finer grasses suitable for specialist golf greens, as well as low maintenance mixtures requiring reduced mowing and irrigation.
The following grades of Lindum turf are particularly recommended for greens:
- LT1 Tournament Greens turf – A dense Bent/Fescue sward with very high purity and low thatch content. The final composition is 60-70% Bent and 30-40% Fescue. Mowing height at harvest is 6-8mm. It can be grown in three formats: on USGA specification rootzone, washed to avoid soil contamination or grown on sandy loam soil.
- LT2 Low Maintenance Fine Turf – An environmentally sustainable mixture requiring reduced mowing and lower maintenance. Its fine appearance is particularly suitable for greens and greens surrounds as a fescue replacement. The mixture is based on Fescues and includes Crested Hairgrass, which thrives in dry, low-fertility situations, along with hard fescue, which is also drought tolerant.
Tees and Fairways:
The following grades of Lindum turf are particularly recommended for tees and fairways:
- LT4 Smooth Stalked Tees – A high quality mixture of Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass and Fescue combining fine appearance with hard wear and recovery.
- LT5 Rye Tees – A hard wearing mix combining the repair and recovery of wear tolerant ryegrasses with a dense Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass/Fescue base.
All grades can be supplied as Lindum Washed Turf. A mature turf, this is particularly beneficial for new greens surfaces constructed with a high specification USGA Rootzone.
Other specialist products recommended for golf courses are:
- LT2 Low Maintenance – suitable for greens, fairways, bunker surrounds and semi-rough. Also exposed drought prone areas and areas that only need mowing one or twice a year.
- Lindum Grasfelt – ideal for steep slopes, embankments and for erosion control
- Lindum Lokturf – ideal for walkways and high traffic areas around the golf course, as well as overflow grass car parking and grass access roads
- Lindum Wildflower – creates an instant wildflower meadow, ideal for encouraging wildlife such as bumblebees on the golf course
Racecourses and Equestrian
Only the highest quality, hard-wearing grass should be used on racecourses and in other equestrian events, where grass is subjected to enormous wear and tear by horses’ hooves.
Lindum has supplied turf for major racecourses including York Racecourse, Royal Ascot and for the Bramham Horse Trials. We have developed a revolutionary turf designed specifically for high performance, high impact situations such as racecourses.
The key innovative product used for racecourses and equestrian events is LT6 Sports turf – a turf with ryegrass as the main constituent, valuable for wear and tear and recovery in a difficult winter.
LT6 is also available as a washed turf – a mature turf beneficial for new racecourse surfaces constructed with a high specifications sand profile or fibre reinforced rootzone.
It can be grown as fibre reinforced Lindum Lokturf. Grown into an imported Loksand crimped reinforced rootzone, this improves wear tolerance, provides rapid drainage, reduces divoting, and can bear heavy loads.
Lindum has been providing top quality turf for use on bowling greens for many years.
The specialist LT1 Tournament Greens turf a very fine, dense sward with very high purity and a low thatch content, especially suitable for the close mowing required on bowling greens.
Using a seed mix combining Chewings or Slender Creeping Red Fescue, Browntop Bent or High percentage Browntop Bent, LT1 Tournament Greens turf provides a superior surface for any bowling green.
The final composition is 60-70% Bent and 30-40% Fescue. Mowing height at harvest is 8-10mm. It is available in three formats: Grown to order (quantity dependant) on a USGA specification rootzone; washed to avoid soil contamination and grown on a sandy loam soil.
Download our LT2 Low Input Fine Turf Technical Sheet here
Download our Lokturf for Sports Technical Sheet here
Download our Sports Technical Sheet here
Download our Washed turf installation Technical Sheet here
For more information, call us on 01904 448675 or email us here.